Commercial Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Q. Who is responsible for ensuring a Commercial EPC is instructed?

A. The owner of the building (usually the Landlord)

Q. How Long Do Commercial EPCs Last?

A. 10 years

Q. What does a Commercial EPC Cost?

A. Prices start at £160 for any of our services that requires a site visit.

Q. When does a Commercial Property require An EPC?

A. There are a number of criteria;

  • When a building is rented or sold (either in part or whole)
  • When a building under construction is finished
  • When a building has a change-in-use
  • When a building has been converted into fewer or more units
  • If changes have been made to the heating, hot water, air conditioning /ventilation services and lighting systems (or the thermal properties of the building fabric)

Q. How To Improve A Commercial EPC Rating?

A. Our quick tips are;

  • Install an efficient heating system such as a modern high-efficiency boiler
  • Replace all legacy lighting with LEDs
  • Improve the thermal properties of the building fabric by cladding or installing insulation
  • Fit solar PV on the roof – many grants and incentives are freely available

Display Energy Certificates (DECs)

Q. Who is responsible for ensure a Display Energy Certificate is instructed?

A. The occupier of the building (usually the Tenant) 

Q. What is A Display Energy Certificate (DEC)?

A. DECs provide an OPERATIONAL rating for the building, unlike Commercial EPCs which return an ASSET rating.

A Display Energy Certificate must be displayed for public viewing in a suitable part of the building (e.g. reception)

Q. When Are DECs required?

A. Public authorities must have a DEC for a building if all the following are true;

  • When a building is at least partially occupied by a public authority (e.g. council, leisure centre, college, NHS trust)
  • When a building has a total floor area of over 250 square metres
  • When a building is frequently visited by the public

Q. How Are DECs calculated?

A. Government approved software (e.g. OrCalc) is used to determine the rating which can only be calculated by a qualified DEC Assessor. Energy usage, internal dimensions, occupancy and building purpose all contribute towards the calculated score.

BRUKL (Building Regulations United Kingdom Part L2)

Q. What does BRUKL stand for?

A. Building Regulations Part L2.

Q. What is a BRUKL output document?

A. A calculation (in detailed report format) showing the Building Energy Requirement (BER) matched against the Target Energy Requirement (TER). If the BER is greater than the TER then the building will fail Part L of the building regulations.

BRUKL output documents are used as a design tool during the planning stage, and as confirmation that the building is compliant with Part L2 at sign off stage.

BRUKL output documents are also called SBEM Calculations.

Q. What is a BRUKL Certificate?

A. A BRUKL certificate as a stand alone document does not exist. If you are ever asked to produce a BRUKL or SBEM certificate, you are actually being asked to produce and show the BRUKL output document from an SBEM calculation.

Q. Why Have A BRUKL Certificate?

A. The BRUKL output document will allow Building Control to check if the building has passed Part L2 of the UK Building Regulations. A BER<TER rating will allow the Building Control Officer to sign off the building as passed on PartL2 of the UK Building Regulations.

SBEM (Simplified Building Energy Model)

Q. What Does SBEM mean?

A. SBEM is  the Government approved methodology used to calculate the energy efficiency of a non-domestic building.

SBEM does not take shading or sunlight into account when analysing a building and can only be applied to level 3 or level 4 buildings.

Q. What Are SBEM Calculations?

A. SBEM Calculations are another word for BRUKL output documents and are required to show a Building Energy Rating (BER) of a lower score than the Target Energy Rating (TER) in order to pass the design and as built stage of Part L2 (A & B) of the UK Building Regulations.

Q. When Are SBEM Calculations Required?

A. When a building is in pre-sign off stage during construction or renovation a SBEM pass will be required by Building Control.

While you are here, why not also read our blog where more information on many of the subjects above can be found.