What Is The UK Non Domestic Energy Performance Register

ParisGardens_ThumbIs an online register of all lodged Commercial EPCs, Display Energy Certificates and Air Conditioning Reports carried out in England and Wales? The register is administrated by the Department for Communities and Local Government. The register all contains the details of all current Commercial Energy Assessors and is a useful starting point for finding a local assessor.

All Non-Domestic/Public Buildings in the United Kingdom are required to comply with the Government Directive “Energy Performance of Non-Domestic Buildings”, specifically to achieve two main objectives:
1. Reduction of emissions that are harmful to the future of the planet such as carbon dioxide emissions that are now considered to be a major cause of global warming and climate change;
2. To ensure medium to long-term security of energy supplies.

Non-Domestic Buildings

All non-domestic buildings under construction, for sale, or rent are required to obtain an NDEPC (Non-Domestic Energy Performance Certificate), and an RR (Recommendation Report) unless classified as exempt.

Large Public Buildings

All public buildings >250m2 are required to obtain a DEC (Display Energy Certificate) to be displayed in a prominent place visible to the public that highlights the energy performance of the building. An AR (Advisory Report) with recommendations for energy improvements will also be required every 7 years.


Enforcement Agencies with powers to investigate can require building owners to produce valid EPCs and Air Conditioning Inspection Reports, and serve penalty notices for failure to comply. Regulations give Trading Standards Officers the right to require a responsible person to produce an EPC and RR within 7 days of the request.

Exemptions from EPC

– Places of worship;.
– Temporary constructions with a 2-year planned use or less.
– Architecture with a low power demand such as industrial sites, agricultural structures, and workshops.
– Non-residential stand-alone buildings of less than 50m2.
– Officially protected buildings forming part of a designated environment, or due to their special historic or architectural merit.

Lodgement and Register

All valid efficiency certificates and their accompanying advice reports are lodged with the Central Register to provide potential buyers and tenants (or those acting on their behalf) with an independent means to check, through the unique RRN (Report Reference Number), whether certificates are authentic and to retrieve the following certificates and reports:

– EPC and RR
– DEC (Display Energy Certificate) and AR (Advisory Report
– AC-Report (Air Conditioning Inspection Report) and AC-Cert (Air conditioning Inspection Certificate

Any person with an RRN is allowed to access the Central Register, but only authorised Enforcement Officers (such as an Accredited Commercial Energy Assessor) are allowed to search the register by address or postal code. These regulations are there to protect unauthorised disclosure of EPC information to third parties such as companies using the information without permission for marketing their products. Unauthorised access is a punishable offence that carries a fine and anyone with access to unique RRNs for EPCs should disclose it only to persons with a direct interest in the property, for example, Enforcement Officers, current or potential owners and tenants, or accreditation schemes. Authorised access to the register will also be allowed for purposes of detecting or preventing crime, or for complying with a Court Order.

If you are based in Newport, Cardiff or Bristol and need advice, contact us